Businesses depend on their network framework in order to facilitate every business aspect, from sales and marketing to accounting, etc. Just as with any kind of machinery, computer networks are complex and have many moving parts. Today we discuss some network maintenance tips, along with some do’s and dont’s on how to handle those networking hiccups which happen every now and then.
1) Equip your network with some professional grade anti-virus software and firewall. You will want one that scans your entire network for any kind of virus, malware, adware, worms, and other backdoor exploits. The firewall will serve as a 1-2 punch that proactively stands guard to prevent any unauthorized users from accessing your business network.
2) Get your hands on some network monitoring software. This will give you a detailed view of the network activity taking place within your network. There are a variety of programs on the market, with some offering a deeper analysis than others, although perhaps at a greater cost. Pay attention to suspicious network activity, unusually high traffic, etc.
3) Invest in a UPS. This will ensure that your network doesn’t experience sudden power outages whether it’s due to inclement weather, or some other external cause. A UPS (uninterruptible power supply) will also prolong the life of your equipment and more importantly preserve data so that all your unsaved work doesn’t end up being lost. Your
4) Use complicated passwords. This is the simplest way to keep hackers out of your system. Using generic passwords is an invitation for trouble, and short passwords can be easily cracked. Some tips when deciding on a password: use a combination of numbers and letters, make use of special characters, refrain from using the same password everywhere, do not use personally identifiable information such as your name. Ideally, you want to create passwords that make use of all these tips and make sure to not share it with anyone.
5) Schedule maintenance often- ideally every week. Your computer system has many complex functions, and it will require routine maintenance to keep it running smoothly. Make an effort to take out a couple hours every week and run through this checklist as a form of preventative DIY.